“Granny-pannies” or when french knickers just won’t do.

1950's style viscose and nylon lace

Spent yesterday trying to drown my head-cold in Beechams Cold & Flu blackcurrant (tastes like medicinal Kool-Aid yummmm) and ignoring how vile I felt by trying out 3 new knicker drafts Ive been developing based on the bottom half of the Dorothy Lamour inspired swimsuit pattern I made this last summer … success! and 4 new pairs of “granny-pannies”; three pairs in a lovely soft pink viscose jersey and daisy lace from Ditto fabrics (they don’t sponsor me – it’s just a great fabric shop close to home) and one in a stretch silk satin from my stash.

I think high-waisted 1950′s style pants are great for occasions where French knickers are too airy …

Stretch silk satin

And yes, I totally agree that it would have been nice if I’d changed the bobbin to pink…
so the zig-zag stitching on the inside was less visible. But I get so fired up and eager to get a new thing finished that sometimes I’ll ignore those little details even though later I will be very annoyed about it. Do you do that too when in the throes of great creativity?

By the time I made the 3 pairs of pale pink ones I’d calmed down enough to change bobbins and match thread :)

Trying a 3rd pattern version out in a non stretch silk georgette later today…. and no, really I haven’t forgotten about my bra pattern I said I’d get up as a give-away!

Unfortunately I left all those patterns behind at the costume studio last thursday and haven’t been back so I couldn’t do any further work on it this weekend.

Silly me.

However last month I tried out this original 1940′s bra pattern I’d bought from Wearing History Patterns – it made up nicely but was just too big for me (I’d estimate it as a 34 large C/D cup) so I gave it to a (happy) friend whom it does fit.

Still intending to make the needed pattern alterations for myself  though as it’s a bra shape that would look good with my big pants.

I’m so pleased with this pants making project … retro style pants I’ve bought in shops are never quite high enough in the waist for my liking and the leg elastic always pinches.

Almost has made having a cold feel worthwhile…almost.

Anyway I’m convinced making your own underwear is the way to go.

Bra pattern from Wearing History Patterns

1. debrajwebb
    Sep 24, 2013 @ 13:09:41

Reblogged this on heArtsonnet blog.

2. modgranny
    Feb 24, 2013 @ 15:30:14

OK, I use a combination of techniques for making my “underpinnings”! In my 30′s we lived very near a top of the line bra, girdle, slip etc manufacturing company (now long gone), So, I could buy samples, and end runs of fabric and findings.
    Moving from there, I began by cutting in half a bra that really fit well and taking it apart piece by piece and lining up the steps — leaving the other half “whole.” As my body changed over the years I drafted new sections or started from scratch using Ann Person’s Stretch & Sew Tank Suit F282 for shaping the shell for my swimsuits; body suits, jersey body suits with sleeves and stylish necklines to go with A line skirts and slacks and one piece foundations.

OK, 50 years later…why not go and buy? I like bright underpinnings; and rarely wear white under anything. Fit is lousy…a D cup is still cut low and narrow at the arm pit and all companies assume your hips are much bigger than your bust…not mine. I also like close body fit and don’t wear nylon and the commercial laces are itchy. My husband of 61 years enjoys seeing me dress and …What better way to keep an 88 year old man happy?

PS: I save my old T’s and Turtle necks for experimenting. If I mess up…they still make good cleaning cloths — even for small areas.

Feb 24, 2013 @ 23:53:17

Very interesting to hear how you got started and have gone about getting undies made. Thank you for coming back to tell. I definitely agree that taking something like a bra apart and replicating it is a great way to learn about construction. We also share a liking for colourful lingerie then ! :)

3. modgranny
    Feb 20, 2013 @ 04:49:39

Ah, “my” vintage! Love seeing the return of the real thing!! I’ve been stitching my underpinnings for years and will keep going for the next 18 = my 100th Birthday!!

Feb 21, 2013 @ 15:41:22

That’s inspirational to hear modgrannie! My mum will be 83 in a few months and she still sews. I hope I will be sewing well into my 80s/90s too.
      By the way, do you use commercial lingerie patterns or do you draft your own?

4. Norma
    Feb 20, 2013 @ 04:30:54

I never liked the term “granny panties” for its negative connotations. It probably started with some wiseacre young person without any sense of historical perspective or sense of romance. Women of all ages wore high-waisted briefs, tap panties, step-ins, and bloomers in earlier decades. Those were the styles. After all, Mayiylm Monroe wore high-waisted briefs, Ginger Rogers and Carole Lombard wore side-button step-ins (or tap pants), and they looked fabulous in them. It’s not the style by itself, but how and by whom they are warn that is more significant. The trend in panties has been for them to get progessively smaller until they consisted of nothing but butt floss. But that trend needs to get reversed and you, Vera, are doing your part to get us to appreciate the more demeuere and feminine, and far sexier, underthings of yesteryear.

5. blackoutgal
    Feb 13, 2012 @ 20:36:35

ooooooh, yes please to a granny pannies pattern! the ones I buy are either uncomfortable or tight at the bottoms, and end up giving me an un-lovely ‘double bum’ look, not good for those tighter sailor trousers when good clean lines are in order!!!

6. Roslyn Francis
    Sep 30, 2011 @ 19:21:16

Hi Vera,
    I really like your pink with lace version. They look very comfortable like I’d wear them everyday. This weekend I hope to try your circular knicker tutorial. I’ll send pics when I’m done.

7. Olivia
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 15:17:50

I made a bra from that pattern, and it doesnt look even close to as clean cut and nice as yours. I tried to put inter faceing in the middle but it flopped. Do you have any tips on how to make it stiffer- but not too stiff? Yours looks great! and I love the color.

Sep 29, 2011 @ 21:14:15

Hi Olivia and thank you :)

First thing I did was to cut the base of the bra double fabric but kept the cups single. I used self fabric there but you could use a thin but crisp cotton, like a shirt weight poplin or cotton sateen for the inside layer. I wouldn’t use an iron-on interfacing here. Just a double layer of fabric helps make it that bit firmer. And then just carry on and bind both layers together as an edge finish. The binding and rows of stitching all add to the structure.

The other thing I did which really helped was to put a bit of very light nylon boning in each side.. I did that by making a casing out of my pink fabric, slipping the bone inside and sewing the top and bottom closed and then hand stitching the encased bones on the inside of the bra in the side seam area.

I may get back to that bra pattern tomorrow as I still intend to make the cups fit me. While I’m sewing it I’ll take a few pics and make a mini-tute…. it is a nice pattern but the instructions are pretty basic!

8. Jeanne Marie
    Sep 29, 2011 @ 03:07:22

Love the granny panties. Completely adorable. And they look comfortable.

9. yesilikethat
    Sep 27, 2011 @ 16:16:24

These are so cute! I love the coral satin version. Can’t believe you made the top ones – at first glance I thought they were a vintage pair you were going to copy! The lace with the pale pink fabric is perfect.

10. Maja
    Sep 26, 2011 @ 16:42:44

wow do you know what I want for christmas? a “how to” on these hot grannies! It is impossible to buy high waisted in Denmark – they just don’t exist here;)

Sep 26, 2011 @ 15:48:21

I love these knickers! I have not had the chance to try out your other knicker pattern yet but now that everyone is back at Uni I have regained use of the table so shall give it a bash along with this pattern.If they are successful I shall let you know.These knickers are just so pretty I just have to have a go!
    I definitely get carried away and don’t think of the finer details!!

12. Asia Smaga
    Sep 26, 2011 @ 15:32:17

I love the bra!!! The colour, shape and simplicity of it!

Comments or Questions

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s