The Little Bias Dress (free) pattern has landed

aka the LBD.Little Bias Dress

“Just-below-the-knee 30’s inspired bias dress. It fits snug over the hips and the lower skirt then flares out into a 1⁄2 circle. The V-neck bodice is cut on the straight grain and finished with a facing. There is shirring under the bust and across the back waist which also has a 2 piece belt. The entire skirt and the fluted 3⁄4 circle sleeves are cut on the true bias. All seams are best simply pinked and pressed open though french seaming the long side seams of the nightgown worked well. Sleeve and skirt hems are finished with either a hand or machine rolled hem. Armholes are bound with bias strips. This 10 piece pattern (all seam allowances included on the pattern) is sized to fit a UK size 10/12, 162-167cm/ 5’4”-5’6”height person. “

So, after making my LBD dress first posted about here last month I thought it could be adapted to also make a sweet 30’s style nightgown…and in some soft  embroidered cotton lawn it did. The instruction pdf I just posted suggests tells how the adapt the dress pattern to make this style too along with pattern/body measurements, fabric suggestions, notions and a cutting layout even :) I think by following the Threads grading guide it would not be difficult to grade this pattern up a couple of sizes.

LBD3LBD nightgown

However I should warn you the tiled pattern is a whopping 28 pages to print and tape together!  If you know of a CAD print service (cadtoprint.co.uk for instance) to whom you could email the full A0 pdf (edited to add: 33.1 x 46.8 inches) and have them post you back a full size printed sheet drop me a note via my VV contact form and tell me you would very much like a full sized pdf. For the brave and patient among you the  sewing instruction pdf and tiled pattern pdfs are now all up on the VVFree page…in both A4 and US letter tiled formats :)

If someone could give me suggestions of similar digital printing services in the US, Canada Europe etc I’d be grateful as I’d like to list them on the blog because it’s a question I get asked from time to time and I only know the UK possibilities.

My next post will be for a draw to win one printed  pattern of that other dress now known as the Bloggin’ Blues dress even though my blog blues are long gone. As soon as March begins the year ahead feels full of promise even though the weather here is still perfectly miserable.

I love love love a violet posy!

1. Trackback: Vintage Heaven | Our Crafty World
  2. femme légère pipe profonde
    Jun 21, 2014 @ 05:38:19

Merveilleux article, continue de cette façon

3. Trackback: Robe 1930' dans le biais : patron gratuit (en anglais) | Madame fit faire...
  4. debrajwebb
    Apr 13, 2014 @ 19:33:51

Reblogged this on heArtsonnet blog and commented:
    Love this beautiful ultra glamorous feminine dress! ;-) <3

5. Francisca
    Feb 16, 2014 @ 23:43:13

Hurrah! Finally I got a weblog from where I
    be able to in fact get useful information concerning my study and knowledge.

6. Galvani dumas sylviane
    Oct 27, 2013 @ 07:15:00

Bonjour j habite en France à Lyon j adore votre robe. Comment je fais pour télécharger le patron please. Et je parle pas du tout anglais !!!! Quelqu un peut m aider. <3

Oct 27, 2013 @ 08:33:41

bonjour, si vous m’envoyez de mon formulaire de contact Je t’enverrai le modèle. J’ai utilisé Googlr Traduire pour ce que des excuses si terribles français :)

7. Trackback: 10 | °bozontee
  8. Sarah Jane
    Aug 26, 2013 @ 15:09:16

I just finished my first dress from this pattern and thought I’d share. I was so happy with how it came out, though it was mostly a trial run dress. I can’t wait to make more for the fall! Thank you for a wonderful pattern! http://romantichistory.blogspot.com/2013/08/blue-gingham-1930s-bias-dress-from-vera.html

Aug 26, 2013 @ 15:18:59

Thank you Sarah :) Your version is so pretty!! I’m planning to add a different sleeve for an autumn/winter version too (as you mentioned that on your blog)
      Thank you very much for sharing your results.

9. Tiffany Phares
    Aug 08, 2013 @ 21:04:26

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern…I have been eying it for awhile and have decided that this shall be my birthday dress for this year!!! You are so kind for letting us download for free

10. Trina
    Jun 07, 2013 @ 14:50:22

This website was… how do I say it? Relevant!
    ! Finally I’ve found something which helped me. Thanks!

11. Viviane
    Mar 24, 2013 @ 07:29:34

MILLE MERCI
    Bonne journée

12. PinupGal
    Mar 23, 2013 @ 01:37:51

Just found you and so glad I did, I love your style….it’s so me! I can’t wait to make this dress, I’ll be sure to send you a picture when I do. Thank you!

13. Trackback: Fiber Fool » Weekending Reads
  14. Nicole
    Mar 13, 2013 @ 23:35:20

this is stunning! I’m looking for a 30’s inspired wedding dress and the LBD has a lot of what I’m searching for. I think I’m going to have to download it! Thanks for sharing your talent.

Mar 14, 2013 @ 08:35:45

Good luck with that! I’m actually making someone a bias wedding dress loosely based on this pattern myself at the moment. If it works as a base for you I’d really love to see how you adapt it.

15. Casey
    Mar 07, 2013 @ 21:38:29

Thank you so much for sharing this with us!!

Here in the continental US, Staples, Office Depot and FedEx Office (formerly Kinkos) can all print wide format black and white on thin paper. It is used most often for blueprints, but can easily be transferred to other uses. It is really inexpensive (usually less that $5 for a 36″x48″ print) and quick. We would need to know how large the final print size is in inches, so we can tell our printer how to scale it.

Hope that helps! Thanks again for making this amazing pattern available to us!

Mar 07, 2013 @ 22:16:39

Hi Casey, good point. A0 is 46.8 x 33.1in. I’ve now added that on the pdf file name so any printer it goes to will know by one or the other.
      And thanks for the printing places info!

16. KC
    Mar 06, 2013 @ 16:06:55

Kinkos offers large format printing in Canada. I’m pretty sure Staples also offers this service.

17. Shay
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 23:27:01

I think this would make a very pretty and elegant summer blouse, as well.

18. Patricia O
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 18:03:21

Very nice. I suppose at a pinch the nightie could be adapted to work as a long dress with the right fabric.

19. Trackback: Free pattern: Little Bias Dress | Sewing Patterns
  20. Kim Turner
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 14:13:51

Absolutely fantastic. This is the first time I have visited your blog but I am going to become a subscriber right now. I have fallen in love with this dress and I think I have found my next project.

Thank you so much for your generosity.

Kim

21. perlendiva
    Mar 04, 2013 @ 13:03:48

This dress is so awesome!!
    Here in Berlin, I know a few copy shops which offer printing large formats as A0, and my university’s computer and printing service offers poster printing, too.

Mar 04, 2013 @ 13:29:41

Thanks! Could you let me know the internet address of at least one copy in Berlin and I will make a link list and including. If you would like an A0 size pattern to have printed just use a contact form to let me know your address to email it to.

22. Trackback: Free pattern: Little Bias Dress · Sewing | CraftGossip.com
  23. MontanaDesigns
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 17:12:05

Hi, I’ve nominated you for the Liebester Award. Here’s a link to the post http://montanadesigns.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/my-liebster-nomination/

24. Kristine
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 15:43:06

You are so generous..Thank you, Thank you very much!! I love reading your blog and everything you share. Oh and a thought… The dress you made from the Fab Gabs inspiration reminds me so much of Vogue reissue 8728..I Love the simple dress, I have one myself.lol. but yours? my goodness, you have made it extra special..
    Kristine~

25. Monet
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 05:55:58

Thank you from Africa! The dress is divine and I shall endeavour to make it for a friend in London for her birthday. I feel inspired and think it will look gorgeous in dark green or burgundy! Thanks so much!

26. eumoronorio
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 02:54:39

that’s a beautiful dress!

27. thelingerielesbian
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 01:40:51

I need to make this! So pretty.

Mar 03, 2013 @ 00:33:41

love the dress would look nice in stretch velvet

Mar 03, 2013 @ 07:59:17

I agree, this shape certainly would look good in a stretch fabric but I have to point out that this that this particular pattern is cut for woven fabric used on the bias, not stretch fabrics! Could work in stretch with lots of tweaking…. but could also be a disaster :(

29. kitblu
    Mar 03, 2013 @ 00:29:19

I searched for a printer in my city and found one who will send prints to anywhere in Canada and the US. I will confirm and get more details next week after I talk to them.

30. Magical Effects of Thinking
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 22:26:40

That is very sexy! But the blogging blues dress is
    My all time fav! Of course either one would require
    A whole new sexy lifestyle. Wonderful work as usual.

Mar 03, 2013 @ 07:53:16

Thank you.
      Your comment made me laugh :) A “whole new sexy lifestyle” to go with the dresses? I want one too! Mostly these days I just trip along the Mutton/Lamb Line, glad to have reached an age where I give less of a hoot about what others think of my clothes (versus my age).

31. PEPPERMIA.x
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 20:28:11

I love this, it exudes elegance and charm! Thanks for post and the link to the pattern I am excited about this dress. :)

32. Anthea
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 19:50:39

Amazing dress! How generous of you!

33. Doni
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 19:44:49

I love this dress! I even have a luscious black silk in my stash that would work alas the size even with grading I could never make it fit!! :-) Good luck and happy wearing to those who can!

Mar 03, 2013 @ 08:04:01

I’m intending to have some patterns graded for sale in the future Doni. Could you perhaps send me a message via my contact form if you have a minute and tell me what size pattern you would need? I’m trying to get a sense of what size range to offer.

34. Diana van Nuland
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 19:40:07

Wow thank you, stunning dress, love the black one

35. Red Point Tailor
    Mar 02, 2013 @ 19:36:21

It is fabulous!

I'd love to know what you think!

French-Knicker Sew-Along PDF

Click the picture to go straight to the full sew-along pdf to download and read later.