Handbags and Gladrags

Where did that summer go? Cold, wet and nasty here in the UK now… where I am at any rate. But tomorrow morning at some hideously early hour I start the 18 hour long trip that lands me in still warm and sunny southern New Mexico to visit my mum for two weeks. A very welcome break from work and crummy weather :) So this post is a quicky Hi y’all with a free 50′s style dress pattern AND a cute bag to make. I did these two projects for the Christmas issue of Making Magazine that hit the newsstands yesterday. The patterns can be downloaded from my free stuff page. The dress pdf is 33  pages! I’ve put the full size A0 & A1 pattern pdfs up too for those of you with access to large format printers.  I expect to be making quite a number of the bags myself soon in tweed, fake leopard fur, sequin- fab to give as  Christmas presents I thought.IMG_3123

IMG_3128

I’ve got lots of other posts in the works too: “Waist Not, Want not” about, you guessed it,  ideas of what to do when that lovely vintage skirt/jacket/dress  fits you everywhere but the waist is just too tight. I’ve spent quite a lot of time recently doing alterations on my own wardrobe tackling  exactly this issue and I havea 40′s cocktail dress and a Tippi Hedron style 60′s suit waiting for me in NM that certainly will need some waistline adjustments (letting out in other words).  As if I’d let a little thing like a too small waistband stop me from wearing vintage ;)

Another post coming soon is titled “All That Glitters”.  It will mainly be about working with difficult fabrics like sequins and lamé since I seem to be making a number of sparkly things these days not the least of which is this sequin gown from a 1930 pattern. I added a back cowl drape to it and am making a matching cape as well. This is a personal project no less and I’m going to have to work very hard at where on earth I’ll wear it! Hmmm, maybe a Dinner At Eight themed birthday party in January? *sigh*  A girl can dream.

In the meantime I’d better pack for my trip. Hope you enjoy the dress and bag patterns, screenshot_259See you soon!

IMG_3333

Wasn’t Jean Harlow just the epitome of 30′s glam?

1. theknittingclass
    Nov 12, 2013 @ 11:03:40

Just had a quick peek! beautiful bag and dress. you are so generous. Thank you

Pauline

2. Melanie@ElevatorGirl
    Nov 11, 2013 @ 04:43:52

HI Jeanne! I always know when you’re quiet that something must be on the boil…and such lovely patterns! I love the box pleats on the dress, a great way to get volume without having to hem a circle skirt. Though, a bit disappointed in the machined hem in the magazine pictures. Oh how much nicer a blind hem looks, but it seems to be the norm now even in high-end stores to machine-hem. I don’t really understand that, as with the blind hem stitch on your sewing machine (the one that looks like a cardiogram) its not even that hard…Anyway, enough of that, have a wonderful time in sunny NM! And thanks again for sharing your lovely gowns, I hope you find an event for that gold number. I can picture you in a photo shoot among the cactuses and desert landscapes…

Nov 11, 2013 @ 05:16:54

Hi Melanie, lol, I wondered if someone would take me to task on not doing an invisible hem… well I just didn’t have time! Also have never actually blind hemmed by machine though I’ve seen how its done. The dress was returned to me after the photo shoot and I already did take the machine stitching out as I want it that couple of inches longer and do intend to re-hem invisibly… at some point. On some garments I do like the way blatant machine sewing looks but I agree on this fabric it will look nicer not. So it may be a good idea to practice blind hemming by machine ready for the next time I’m on a tight deadline :)

3. sara
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 15:45:50

Oh my LOVE the bag!! The dress is fab as well, but I seem to have a thing for bags…don’t have to worry about fit!!! Is there ANY chance you would do the pattern for the dress you just teased us with (the one you added the back cowl to)??? pretty please?? I would LOVE to make that for daughters prom dress.

Nov 09, 2013 @ 21:17:41

Hi sara, if you click the underlined 1930 in the post it should take you to the Vintage Pattern Lending library which is where I got the pattern from. The cowl addition is simply cut as a wide but not deep triangle. Your daughter would be very lucky indeed if you made that dress for her prom! Its a nice pattern and not difficult to put together.

4. elenor martin
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 13:00:13

Thanks for sharing these fabulous patterns. I’ll try this lovely bag soon! Have a nice time with your mum1

5. giddyauntlola
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 09:32:03

Wow! That dress is incredible – I adore the fabric – it would be great to know what kind of fabric it is and where you got it from. The gold slinky dress is also incredibly glamorous and I would love to own this, if only I had somewhere to to go to justify wearing such a gorgeous thing. :)

Nov 09, 2013 @ 21:25:33

The fabric came from a little fabric shop called New fabric Fair in Brighton that sells a real ‘bit of this,bit of that’ selection of fabrics… I never know what gems I might find there. It’s a kind of textured brocade, almost a bit puffy. It’s a silk and synthetic mix it think. The cut edges frayed like mad so all the seams are bound and the dress is unlined. Easy to line if you wanted to though.

6. Jeanette
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 09:09:38

Now, this dress is perfect for some fabric I picked up this week in a charity shop, I’m printing it off right now!
    Looking forward to uour future posts, especially the waist adjustment one. I recently bought a beautiful 1950′s vintage dress and the only bit that doesn’t fit is the waist.

7. MontanaDesigns
    Nov 09, 2013 @ 00:39:34

Marvellous dresses, you are an amazing seamstress.

Nov 09, 2013 @ 00:22:51

Love the dresses.
    we have just had a vintage clothing weekend near us. What outfits from the 40s and 50s . So inspiring to get sewing for our summer coming up soon

9. Lili
    Nov 08, 2013 @ 23:41:40

Thank you! They’re both gorgeous. The bag is on my list as of right now.