Advice for the sew-fearful

I do agree with the first paragraph but hmmm, if I tackle the household chores (all urgent) first I’ll simply have no time left for sewing today…I vote for sewing first- boring stuff later.

And face and hair get done after I have my new dress finished hopefully just in time for Husband’s arrival home and he’ll be so thrilled at how gorgeous I look that he’ll whisk me out to dinner never even noticing the house is a mess and the dogs are still smelly.

RESULT!!  and as one of my muses said ” ….after all, tomorrow is another day.”

1. Kelley Shields
    Jul 18, 2013 @ 14:38:15

I love this advice from Singer. I work on a 1960’s Singer, gifted to me from my mother when she switched to a Bernina late in her dressmaking career. I will use this machine ’til the day it wants to sew no more! So the advice straight from the maker’s mouths on how to produce the best mindset possible in one’s sewing efforts is highly valuable, albeit amusing. I actually do like to feel squared away when beginning a new project. I loved preparing my sewing room (when I had one) first with a thorough cleaning. Then I’d get all the supplies set up, prepare Solange–my mannequin of many many years– for the new project by extracting errant pins, setting new twill tape for special design lines, etc. Sewing is a deeply spiritual process for me; like many spiritual practices preparation for it contributes to the meaning.

2. Kathy
    Oct 26, 2012 @ 18:15:08

Didn’t everyone figure out that Scarlet had made her “new” dress out of the curtains? It looks so curtainish to me! If I did the dishes and the housework I would be much too exhausted to even think about sewing let alone doing it. Sigh. Catch as catch can here.

3. Patricia O
    Oct 08, 2012 @ 10:48:00

Well, a person can sort of split the chores can’t they? Lots of people have dish washing machines these days, though I don’t. Also it depends whether one is working full-time/part-time or stay at home or retired. Might be sensible to get the washing up done and then do a bit of sewing and then push the broom/vacuum cleaner around etc. A bit of not-nice activity, then a bit of nicer activity, that sort of thing. I have friends who adore housework but I’m afraid I do it because it has to be done, not for pleasure.

4. Summer
    Oct 06, 2012 @ 07:02:48

Does this mean that if I get dolled up to sew a wonderful husband will magically appear? Cause I’m down for trying it! lol

Oct 06, 2012 @ 11:34:10

A nice thought that it should be so simple isn’t it.
      Every time I’ve ever sewn while dressed up nicely I’ve ended up covered in bits of thread and lint and even managed to snip into what I was wearing and got lipstick on what I was making. Between my scowls and the mess I looked anyone at the door would have run a mile.

Oct 02, 2012 @ 21:07:55

I hate to say it but I am one of those people who can not do ANYTHING with a happy heart unless my bed is made and the kitchen sink is clean….obviously why I feel so boring and mundane but that’s me and I am too old to change now I fear!!

6. Lashawnda
    Oct 02, 2012 @ 04:02:13

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

7. Anushka