Sew It and Sea

Remember my Lamour swimsuit from a few summers back? I finally got back to that pattern and over the last 4 months in between costume work and wedding dresses I’ve developed a whole little range of retro styled swimwear and thought I’d give a preview of some of the pattern styles.

For the last two weeks while free of commissions I’ve been working my socks off testing, sampling different sizes of the grades, trying out different fabrics. The gold halter suit & the sparkly turquoise and tan are both patterns designed for lycra. The turq/tan number has been my choice of beach wear these last couple of weeks …even though the sparkles keep coming off and making me look like a hardcore fan of body glitter.  There are 2pc versions of the styles as well.

VaVoom
Lamour

The other patterns are for woven cottons; the bodices can be used with skirts to make fab sundresses too.  Optional mini skirts are in the works to join with the tops so the suits can even become vintage style swim-dresses if the little pants aren’t your thing.

I may even do some ready-to-wear suits… already been making a few for friends who don’t sew and have a couple of factory possibilities to check out. Anyway that’s all even further down the road.

Sizes you ask? I hesitate to give size names as they vary so much from country to country, company to company. However the 6 graded sizes I’ve had done cover busts 32″-42″/84cms-104cms, hips 35″-45″/ 91cms-109cms.

Amourette Jolie 2pc Amourette as Dress

So far the patterns are finished. The grading has been done.

I’m 1/2 way through adding seam allowances, grain-lines, info,  checking notches match and make the patterns into size nests.

Still to do:

Write sewing instructions (someones gonna have to tie me to a chair for a week  2 weeks for that one!)

Illustrations for the envelope & pics of real women in the suits (the fun stuff!)

Oh and of course getting them printed on light weight pattern paper.

Oh, yeah, the website : getting a proper shop set up.

Arrrggh all of a sudden I feel a little overwhelmed.

Never mind, I’ll get there.

Stay tuned 😉

Sew it and Sea!

1. Jaimee Griffin
    Mar 13, 2017 @ 15:56:07

Beautiful. How do I purchase the Lycra patterns? Even with no instructions, I don’t care, I would figure it out. So pretty. You definately have a gift.

2. Belinda
    Oct 23, 2016 @ 04:28:45

I just discovered you and I’m in love!
    I ABSOULTLY need this pattern!!! I couldn’t find it to buy or download for free will it be avalible soon?! I’d love to be able to make it for next summer

Oct 23, 2016 @ 12:51:28

Hi Belinda… I am embarrassed to say that I have been really dragging my feet on my patterns- I actually have this swimsuit pattern (both 1 & 2 pc) graded and multi-size printed but I have never gotten around to actually writing the instructions! Determined to get it together and get them out there for early 2017.

3. Christine
    Jul 08, 2016 @ 02:42:39

Any progress on getting these patterns in the shop soon? I am dying to make a cotton suit, and don’t have the faintest idea where to start!

4. Megan
    Apr 22, 2015 @ 22:45:58

I adore the gold version, so I look forward to the day that you offer the pattern for sale so I can make myself a sassy gold pinup girl swimsuit 🙂

5. Patricia O
    Sep 02, 2014 @ 18:14:38

Would one line these costumes if they were to be used for swimming. Wouldn’t want to give the world at large an “eyeful”.

Sep 02, 2014 @ 20:57:17

In my samples… some of which I beach & swim tested I lined the lycra with a light weight powernet but regular stretch swim lining could be used instead. Just a single layer feels a bit lightweight to me.
      The cotton ones are partially lined. The bra parts definitely need it as that’s how I’ve designed the construction. For bottoms it is optional.
      But as most fabrics are more see-through when wet using light colours and not adding a lining is at the wearers risk! 😉

6. Under The Root
    Aug 11, 2014 @ 15:56:21

This process you have explained is no stranger to my work. I admire your tenacity and strength. These designs are daring, time consuming, decision crossroads, and spectacular to add within the swimwear industry. Ahoy! xo

7. Tropical Threads
    Aug 10, 2014 @ 07:59:54

Oh lovely! I like the dress the best, but that could just be because I don’t really like swimming 🙂 The cotton suit it is great too. Sending you lots of encouragement for the long work hours with Illustrator!

8. Lorna
    Aug 09, 2014 @ 08:27:19

It turns out you are the answer to all my internet searches!

9. tulleandtweed
    Aug 06, 2014 @ 20:01:06

So looking forward to the release of these patterns, Summer dressing all sewn up! Keep up the good work.

10. sorbetsurprise
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 19:30:47

I really love the sundress version!

11. Wendy Loo
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 17:45:45

I love all of these designs, the cotton suits are my favourite, love the material you used. I know it’s a lot of work and perhaps the instructions and seam allowances seem a chore but you know how many of us appreciate the extraordinary work. I’ll look forward to making one up for myself in the near (?) future.
    Cheers!

12. Sara
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 15:54:10

These look great! I’d love to sew one… or several.

13. Lili
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 14:20:30

They’re fabulous!

14. Julie
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 13:51:14

Love the black two piece and the sun dress!

15. Suna
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 12:53:12

They look lovely! I’ve wanted a cotton swimsuit for a long time, this might just fit the bill 😀

16. Anthea
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:32:07

Wow, those look great!

17. VeraVenus
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:30:55

Thank you all for your encouraging comments 🙂
    No sample sewing today but a looong day in Illustrator ahead! I’ll re-read your comments when I feel myself flagging.

18. fabrickated
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 06:59:54

Well done. The designs are amazing and will be very popular.

19. Jen
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 01:08:51

That is beautiful! I have not been to the beach or a pool in ages because…I don’t know. Two-pieces just are not me. But one-pieces tend to be so ugly! This, however, is so glam. I’ve never sewn lingerie or a swimsuit before, but this looks well worth trying.

Aug 05, 2014 @ 10:36:53

My feelings exactly and that’s why I started making my own . If you can sew in general you won’t find the cotton suits difficult. The lycra may be more difficult initially for those who’ve never sewn with it before but once you get the hang of working with something so stretchy it should be easy enough too.

20. Lisa
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 00:58:31

I Love these!

21. nicoleneedles
    Aug 05, 2014 @ 00:25:50

These look fab – can’t wait!

22. fredthethread
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 22:35:16

fabulous, I have been looking for vintage swimwear designs for ages! Yours are gorgeous!

23. Becky
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 21:55:18

Gorgeous! I love the swimsuits that leave a bit to the imagination. Much more glamorous.

24. jaime honaker
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 21:53:39

I can’t wait!!! Love the suit, love the sundress!! 🙂

25. Anushka
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 21:42:03

How brilliant! I have been meaning to make a swimsuit for AGES (i.e. hoarding swim fabric…) and know I’ll benefit from using a VV pattern, especially printed ones. I must say too, I have been meaning to make your knicker pattern for ages (hmm sense a theme?!) and today I finally sat down and read through your making instructions – which were really fantastic. I love learning from more experienced makers and there was really so much information in there. It was such helpful guidance on sewing fine fabrics generally, since that’s never been my forte. Hopefully I’ll get on it and sew up a knicker storm soon.

26. zilredloh
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 21:39:58

Gorgeous! Can’t wait to make up that dress when it’s available. I’m always open to be a tester. 😀

27. Draped in Cloudlets
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 21:18:50

Wow, that sounds fantastic! Good luck for you and I am looking forward to visiting your shop 🙂

28. Din
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:31:45

Gorgeous! I’d love to make a few of those swimsuits for next summer!

29. rillafree
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:25:15

Sounds fab! Can’t wait for this to all come together!

30. Anja
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:18:10

Wow, I have to sew it!

31. francescapia
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:10:29

Fabulous! And I’m very happy you’ll be doing paper as I cannot stand sticking pdfs together.

I’m interested primarily in the woven ones which I would love to have as sundresses:)

32. Mrs. Darling
    Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:07:17

These look wonderful! Will you be offering the patterns in pdf, too?

Aug 04, 2014 @ 20:14:51

I won’t be at first. Setting up the tiling etc is a fair bit more work… also depends on if I can figure out setting up automatic downloads. I’ll just have to see on that one.