If you sew you have ’em.
They lurk in closets or huddle in bags. If left long enough they transform from UFO into a WTF was I thinking? or an OMG I remember this! and get cut into quilt pieces if they are lucky or simply binned if not. This past Friday I had a pre-summer closet shuffle, a.k.a. What-Fits-This-Year and I found two UFOs from last summer.
But isn’t it wonderful how if you take a break from a project, anywhere from overnight to ahem a year! and look at it with fresh eyes that whatever seemed wrong with it isn’t such a big deal after all? That’s how it works for me most of the time anyway. A sleeve suddenly fits in perfectly…. the pattern correction needed is blindingly obvious…. the pocket placement is clear. A long break did the trick for these two.
This red linen dress from a 1960’s Weldons pattern that I got for 25 pence was a spur of the moment make. So simple, a piece of cake yet turned into a nightmare. Most of the problems were to do with my posture and needing to shorten the back bodice length (shorter than most patterns) and lengthen the front (prominent bust). Simple enough if I’d made proper pattern alterations but I didn’t. Then the bust darts just wouldn’t play nice: too high, too long, uneven… I gave it two days of undivided attention then into the back of my closet it went. (I know I know I should’a done a toile but I don’t listen to my own advice) So Saturday it was assessed, the dart issues corrected in 10 minutes flat, a zip added and finally it was finished. No big deal after all.
Next up out of the closet was this saucy sarong dress, abandoned at its first fitting last year. Why? Because I wasn’t paying attention and had simply cut the bodice waaaay too small and the skirt was an experiment that didn’t go quite as planned. Fortunately I had just enough fabric left to cut a new bodice, re-cut the back skirt as the new under front and cut new backs. Tada….6 hours later done. I’ve wanted a “Tiki” dress for years. Where was this dress when I was thirty years younger but hey, better late than never 😉 I added a wide boned inner-waistband, not talking comfort here. It’s all about the shape. I adapted it from one of those swimsuit patterns
I am still working on.
So two UFOs saved from the scrap heap. Hooray.
In the meantime while it is not yet hot enough for those dresses I have been wearing this sample dress from the sewing project I designed for the April issue of Making. Soft rayon jersey, cheerful colours, super comfortable…. I could do with a couple more of these! It’s not retro I know…. but add a wiggle skirt with a drape instead of the flared skirt, reshape the neckline from a V into a sweetheart and it could be.
I’m off to USA to catch up with family for a few weeks and just wanted to leave you with something for the nicer weather and so the pattern pdf is now posted on my VVFree page. As usual with my free patterns it’s only in the one size (pic below has info) but not tricky to grade up following the Threads guide -link there on the right sidebar. It’s a fairly easy make, no darts or zips. All sewn on a domestic sewing machine with just basic stretch stitches.